A light cake which is easy to make and great plain, with confectioners sugar or with vanilla ice cream.
Apple Cinnamon Sponge Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 Cake
- Difficulty Level Beginner
- (4.2 /5)
- 111 ratings
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons golden grapes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 20 degrees
- Butter and flour a 9 inch round cake pan
- Core and slice apples
- Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss apples to coat
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon and baking powder in a second large bowl
- Add butter, eggs, sugar, raisins, and lemon zest to the bowl.
- Beat batter mixture for 4-5 minutes until well mixed
- Drain apple slices on a paper towel
- Pour batter mixture into the cake pan
- Completely drain apples and dry with paper towels
- Arrange apples evenly across the top of the batter. Push the apples down into the batter for a finished look or leave pieces of the apple slices showing for a more playful approach
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick insert toward the middle comes out clean
- Remove from over, cool for 5 minutes and remove from cake pan to a wire rack for cooling
- Serve with a dusting of confectioners sugar or with vanilla ice cream
Search this site
Who Am I?
Hey, everyone calls me Chef David. It took me years of testing, sampling and cooking to develop the best Dusts available. I have never been to culinary school so I was reluctant to call myself chef. However, a very close Chef friend, who has gone to culinary school, tried my dust and proclaimed "Whoever created this has to be a chef!".
The name just stuck after that.